Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's so wrong with being late occasionally?

Okay, so we all know that I don't suffer from lateness. If anything, I arrive chronically early for life. I plan a half hour for every 20 minute drive just in case all the lights are against me, or there is a traffic snarl, or I accidentally lock myself out of my car at the gas station and need someone to quickly rescue me so I can still be on time to my destination.

Lately, though, I've been allowing myself to be late taking Cheyenne to preschool. There are just some mornings where getting out the door seems harder than others. This morning, Cade slept late. He usually gets up at 7 am, but at 9 am he was still sleeping. Normally I leave for preschool at 9:04. I woke up Cade at 9 and let him have a little breakfast before we left. Cheyenne was about 12 minutes late for preschool. I had to justify it to myself that being late was the right thing to do...after all, I PAY for preschool...it is supposed to be a convenience for me...and they do free time for the first 15 minutes of preschool anyway, so she isn't causing an interruption to circle time or anything. I think it is a bit odd that I have to convince myself that it is okay that she is late; on some level, it clearly feels not OK to me. I think it causes me more stress to be late than it does to make my family crazy while I yell like a banshee for everyone to get in the car so we won't be late. That doesn't seem logical...but how often are our core emotions actually based in logic?

Well, I'm off to get Cade down to nap. I wouldn't want him to be late for his arbitrary 1 pm naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Let me know what you think.