Saturday, March 28, 2009

A New Challenge

I'm just three days away from finishing my current challenge (7 months with no clothing shopping...more on that in a coming blog), so I'm ready to start a new challenge.

This challenge with be coupons! For two months, I am going to try my hand at cutting coupons to use while I grocery shop. I've resisted doing this until now. My husband has brought it up several times during budget conversations, but I've always replied that I thought it would end up costing me more grocery money because I would buy things I don't normally purchase. Yesterday he asked me if I would be willing to try coupons if I could spend the money on myself. "Uh...yeah...I think I would."



So for a 2 month trial period, I will track both my grocery purchases (to make sure that I don't end up spending more than I've got in my grocery category) and my coupon savings. If I could save $10 bucks a week, I would double my current clothing allowance. That would be amazing, but perhaps is too lofty a goal. Maybe I should shoot for just $5 a week in savings. Of course, I will need to steal the coupon section of my parent's Sunday paper; I don't want to subtract the cost of a newspaper subscription from my coupon savings!

At the end of the two months, hubby's offer to let me have the coupon savings will end. By that time, I should be able to determine if coupon cutting is worth the time or whether I should give it up.

3 comments:

  1. Man I wish you were doing this after I'm in Colorado. I totally need an incentive to spend less on groceries (and eating out for that matter). Good luck- curious if there will be a savings. I've always thought coupons were a crock (and that really coupons only exist for processed and/or sugary foods).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get big Discounts on your next shopping, Do not waste your money, save it! Use free printable grocery coupons at www.clickmycoupon.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my couponing advice (wether you want it or not):). Only use coupons for things you usually buy. Try to combine sales and coupons as much as possible. If you have a Super Walmart their prices are so good that the coupons do make a difference. There aren't any places in Las Vegas that let you double copons, but maybe in Washington? Online coupons are MUCH better than the Sunday newspaper coupons. Here are some websites I like:
    www.moneysavingmom.com
    www.dealseekingmom.com
    www.beingfrugalisfabulous.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Let me know what you think.