Thursday, July 9, 2009

Life is getting easier

I've been guilty of wanting my kids to grow up because it bums me out to not be able to do all the fun stuff that I want to do because my kids can't hack it. All of a sudden it hit me that my kids are starting to be able to do all that fun stuff.

Attempts in previous years to go on bike rides have been disasterous. I remember how frustrated I was a year or so ago trying to take Sweetness for a bike ride because the stupid training wheels got stuck in the rocks and she couldn't push the bike up a hill nor ride it down. It was completely maddening that it took us an hour to decide that there was no way to make the bike ride work and Sweetness cried all the way home. Today we were able to take the whole family for a ride (even with another child thrown in too).


I've got the Big Guy on the back of my bike and hubby has Spunky Girl on a bike that attaches to his bike. Sweetness is now able to ride on her own. We set off for a ride and everyone had a marvelous time. Sweetness had some trouble on the soft dirt/rock paths and started to get a bit frustrated, but we stopped by a river for awhile and threw rocks in until everyone was in a good mood again.



After we got back from our bike ride and had a quick lunch, it was off to the pool!

Once again I was struck by how much easier it was to have our family at the pool. I could even sit on a lounge chair and read if I wanted to.
The Big Guy is happy to wear his life preserver and doesn't mind hanging out by the edge of the pool. Sweetness is a good swimmer and Spunky Girl can manage nicely on her own if she's wearing a flotation belt. After enjoying the ability to lay out for a moment, I didn't mind joining hubby in the pool with the kids and playing around. It was fabulous!

It is so nice to really enjoy this stage with my kids. I think I worried that I would always wish that my kids were older and that made me feel like a lousy mom who didn't enjoy being with her children. It feels great to realize that those feelings were truly about the limitations of the baby years and not something that would be a constant in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Let me know what you think.