Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Anticipation


In 4 days, our family is off on a week vacation to my dad's cabin in Eastern Washington. One of the things that I love best about vacationing there in the summer is getting up, grabbing a cup of coffee, and heading out to the porch to watch the lake. I suppose it isn't really the lake that I'm watching, but rather the birds and the mountains and the little ripples the fish make. It is such a peaceful time, both outside and within myself. When I'm at home, my morning thoughts quickly are consumed with the day ahead: what needs to get done, what time I have to be out the door, what phone calls should be made. When I'm at the cabin, I don't think of those things. I can really sit and think, or read my Bible, or just watch nature and marvel at it.

This morning, in anticipation of my cabin trip, I headed out to my front porch with my coffee. The view is not quite as magnificant at first glance. Kids toys, two hastily parked vehicles, the house next door make up the view. After a few minutes, though, I found myself looking up, watching the birds fly from tree to tree and noticing the beautiful blue sky. I suppose it is possible to enjoy the same moment at home, but it seems much harder to push today's to do list from my mind...especially when the Big Guy finds me and says "PooPoos, Mama". But I guess that can happen anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. I too wake up each day to "PooPoos" but they are laying on the grass in the backyard. We call them Roxie Doo. I get out the shovel and pail and begin my morning poop patrol! It's so beautiful outside in this weather that I don't mind at all. Roxie always sits and looks at me with her head at an angle trying to figure out what in the world I am doing. Have a wonderful vacation. Sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful view! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Let me know what you think.