Tuesday, April 21, 2009

He's got the whole world in His hands

Today I had 'Toddler Tunes' playing on the TV. With our Comcast digital cable, there are a set of music channels and Toddler Tunes is one I turn on for the Big Guy. I was singing along, of course, and I realized that they had changed the words to the song. The song was "He's got the whole world in His hands". They took all the He references to God out and put We in its place.

I felt a flicker of annoyance that the channel felt the need to strip God out of the song, but I understand that they are trying to appeal to a large audience of people that may not believe in the Creator. The more I thought about the song, though, the more I hated it.

"We've got the whole world in our hands"??? Why that is just simply not true. "He's got the whole world in his hands" means that God is in control. We don't have to let the world's problems (AIDS in Africa, the sex trade, the violence seen world-wide) overwhelm us. We can trust that our loving God loves every person around the world and is in control of their situation. That is what is comforting about "He's got the little bitty baby in His Hands, He's got the brothers and the sisters in his Hands, He's got the Mommy's and the Daddy's in His hands, He's got the whole world in His hands".

I think even those who don't have a faith in the loving God would still agree that we don't have control of every situation that occurs around the world. We don't have the ability to stop the drug trade, or stop violence, or stop diseases. We do our best to change the world, but we certainly are not in control. I can't sing "we've got the whole world in our hands" without being reminded that I don't have the ability to fix the world's wrongs.

I think they either need to play the song as it was intended or not play it at all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that is so sad that they took God out of He's got the whole world in His hands. What is this world coming to?

    I was just thinking today that I need a new family picture for my blog. Levi has that newborn squink my eyes look right now and it's hard to get a good picture of him.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Let me know what you think.