In keeping with my New Year's Resolution, I took the kids hiking this morning. Today we tried Soaring Eagle park in Sammamish. I had been watching the weather forcasts all week and was expecting to see rain this morning, but it turned out to be a perfect day. Skies were blue, air was crisp but not cold.
I wish I brought my camera to take a picture of the huge mud bogs we trounced through. The kids loved it. Unfortunately, I had the kids hiking in their tennis shoes rather than their rain boots. Those tennis shoes will never be the same. I've got mine soaking in soapy water now (and should probably get all the kids shoes in the water). Even though I did say "please don't scoop up the mud" and "could you walk around that puddle" a few dozen times, I'm glad my kids got to enjoy some mud time. I want them to enjoy the great outdoors and not being willing to get a little dirty doesn't fit into that.
I liked Soaring Eagle park for several reasons:
1. The trail is really wide, so three people (a mom and a kid on either side) can easily fit.
2. The trail is surrounded by nature, including lots of streams, but you can still see quite a ways...which is advantageous when your older daughter always wants to run ahead.
3. It has nice rolling hills. It is really more of a walk than a hike, but I call it hiking for my kids so they'll grow to love hiking as they get older.
4. The main trail is the perfect length. It took us about an hour and a half to walk the main trail and back to the car. I think it would have taken about an hour if I didn't have a 2 year old with me.
5. Dogs and horses! The kids loved the other trail users. What is better than petting horses and dogs on your hike?
I can't wait to bring the family back here for some bike riding when the trail dries out. There are lots of side trails to explore too. Dad said he was going to come back and run them.
Hope your Saturday was awesome!