Monday, October 12, 2009

bubbles in my pancakes


A while ago, I attended a brunch event where the host was making pancakes for all the kids. I was chatting with her as she flipped the pancakes. I laughed as I said "who taught you how to make pancakes? You know you can't flip them till the bubbles start popping." She looked at me and said "we didn't all have mothers who taught us that."

That moment has stayed with me. I think it was almost 2 years ago that I went to that brunch. The host knew my mom well and knew without asking that she had taught me how to make pancakes.

I know that teaching your children to cook isn't necessary to being a good mom, but I'm sure glad that I had the kind of mom that taught me to cook...and taught me to sew...and taught me to clean house (not that I keep mine to her standards). About the only thing my mother didn't teach me to do well is to iron, and perhaps I just wasn't a very good student.

I've heard from other friends whose moms didn't take the time (or have the ability) to teach them things that they feel like they are behind everyone else, like others have a head start on life. I suspect that is more of a mental hurdle than an actual one, but a hurdle none-the-less. Just because my mom taught me how to crochet doesn't mean that I actually know how to crochet, but it does mean that I might have more confidence that I can figure it out. And I know who to call when I get stuck.


So, thanks mom, for all you did for me while I was growing up and all you still do.
(BTW...my dear mom takes HORRIBLE pictures. I had to really look for a good one! That is her mom, Grandma Dot, in the background.)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that it's important for moms to teach their kids at least the basics of things like cooking, cleaning, laundry and sewing a button on a shirt.

    When I went to college I was amazed how many moms were down in the laundry room teaching their kids how to do laundry. I'd been doing my own since I was 11. I plan to have my kids do the same (though that's more selfish than teaching in the long run ;) ).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Let me know what you think.